So I’ve had to take a bit of a hiatus from recipe creating while in the process of ridding my gut of a parasite (can read more about that here) / healing my gut before and after. There’s only so much one can do with 4-5 different types of vegetables, coconut oil, & a handful of spices. Now I’m not saying I haven’t been able to create some very delicious meals using these limited ingredients, but I’ve been keeping my meals simple & somewhat controlled so that I can get a good handle on any symptoms that may arise from the different medications/supplements I’ve been including in my plan for getting rid of my parasite (B.hominis).
With that being said, I’m officially done with my antibiotic, have successfully administered three self coffee enemas, and have begun taking the herbal Paragone supplement – and am ready to begin experimenting with adding new foods & creating new recipes again!
A little ironic that the first recipe I choose to post is one that I have yet to actually taste myself. While I happily tasted (and re-fell in love with) the bacon half of the recipe, I’m planning on sticking with a no sugar diet for the time being in order to rebalance my gut bacteria, so no date tasting or full bacon-date combo for me. Buuut I do have the approval of both those with paleo-accustomed taste buds & those not so accustomed to less-sweet goodies to vouch that this recipe is the BOMB. I’m excited for the day when sugar enters my diet once again, because these will be first on the list of recipes I make.
I made these bites as part of a dessert for a BBQ we had at our house last week, but I also think they would serve the purpose of a pre or post workout fuel as well & plan to bring them to my CrossFit gym next weekend as a post – Saturday morning WOD treat.
Bacon Date Bites
Time: 40 minutes (cooking, cooling, rolling, etc.)
Makes: 15-16 bites (“2)
- Bacon – 4 slices
- Dates – 3 cups, chopped
- Sea Salt
- Large skillet/pan
- Sharp knife
- Paper Towels
- Food processor
- Two bowls
- Wax paper
- Plate/platter/cookie sheet (to arrange & cool bites on)
- Cook Bacon on medium heat in skillet until well cooked & crispy (approx. 5-7 minutes each side)
- While Bacon is cooking, Chop & Measure out Dates*
- Turn stove heat to lowest setting, remove bacon with the tongs & place on top of paper towels to cool
- Add Dates to the skillet, Mix around to coat with bacon grease, Sprinkle with Cinnamon, & Heat for ~5 minutes (stirring Dates throughout)
- Turn off heat & allow Dates to cool for at least 5 minutes (cooler dates will be easier to work with later on)
- Add cooled Bacon to food processor, pulse until Bacon is chopped up into small bits, then empty Bacon into bowl for later
- Add Dates (along with Bacon grease from skillet) to food processor & process until well combined (into a dough-like mixture)
- Add Date mixture to the second mixing bowl & combine with 1/2 the bacon bits
- Now it’s time to form the “bites” – take small amount of the Date mixture (size is up to you, can use pictures for reference) roll into a ball, flatten out slightly into more of a donut shape, then sprinkle & press Bacon bits on top
- When all the bites are formed, sprinkle with sea salt & put in the fridge to set
- Store in tupperware container in the fridge
* Tip for chopping dates – keep a cup full of water next to you & dip your knife in it every couple of dates to keep knife from getting too sticky
- Add some chopped nuts to the mix as well – Walnuts, Pecans, Almonds, etc. would all add a little nice crunch
- Sprinkle some finely grated Coconut on top (or add some shredded coconut directly into the mix)